To practice as a Respiratory Therapist in Ontario, you must hold a certificate of registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO).
This section is intended for individuals who have graduated or are about to graduate from an approved Respiratory Therapy program.
To start the registration process you must complete the CRTO Application for Registration form, and submit this form, with the applicable fee(s) and documentation, to the College office. The Application for Registration Guide provides a detailed overview of the process.
Steps in the Application Process
1. Review the Application for Registration Guide and Complete the application form.
2. Mail the application form to the CRTO, along with the following:
- $75.00 application fee
- Proof of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency status or a valid work permit E.g. photocopy of birth certificate, residency card
And, if applicable:
- Evidence of successful completion of the approved examination E.g., photocopy of your CBRC exam results letter
- Proof of Language Proficiency If your first language is neither English nor French and your Respiratory Therapy (or related field) training was not in English or French
3. Ensure that other supporting documentation has been sent to the CRTO from third party organizations, e.g.:
- Evidence of successful completion of your Respiratory Therapy program (transcript of academic record) Must be sent directly to the CRTO from the academic institution
- Employment Verification Form
If you have been working in Respiratory Therapy or in a related field. The form must be sent directly to the CRTO from the place(s) of employment
- Registration Verification Form
If you have been registered as a Respiratory Therapist in another jurisdiction, or in another profession. The form must be sent directly to the CRTO from the regulatory/licensing organization
4. Receive a confirmation from the CRTO when your application is approved
If your application is not approved, we will contact you regarding next steps/options in the registration process.
5. Submit the applicable registration fee
6. Receive your certificate of registration
You may not work as a Respiratory Therapist or in any way hold yourself out as a person qualified to practice respiratory therapy in the province of Ontario until after you have been issued a certificate of registration.
You should allow at least 2 to 6 weeks for the processing of your application.
Once registered, you will be required to obtain liability insurance coverage as outlined in the policies of the CRTO and to participate in the CRTOs Quality Assurance Program.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the Manager of Registration through the Contact Us link on the left or via phone at 416-591-7800 x.25.