To practice as a Respiratory Therapist in Ontario, you must hold a certificate of registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO).
This section is intended for individuals who have graduated or are about to graduate from an approved Respiratory Therapy program.
To start the registration process you must complete the CRTO Application for Registration form, and submit this form, with the applicable fee(s) and documentation, to the College office. The Application for Registration Guide provides a detailed overview of the process.
Steps in the Application Process
- Review the Registration Requirements section and the Application for Registration Guide.
- Complete the online application and pay the $75.00 application fee (online Visa or MasterCard transaction).
- One or two business days after your online application is received, the CRTO will email you with information on how to access the Applicant Portal and check the status of your application.
- Log in to the Applicant Portal to submit (upload) supporting documents, for example:
- Proof of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency status, or a valid work permit;
- If applicable, evidence of successful completion of the approved examination, e.g., photocopy of your CBRC exam results letter.
- Ensure that other supporting documentation has been sent to the CRTO from third-party organizations, for example:
- Transcript of academic record must be sent directly to the CRTO from the educational institution.
- Employment Verification Form – If you have been practising as a Respiratory Therapist (or in a related filed) in the last five years, you will need to complete the Employment Verification Form.
- Registration Verification Form – If you hold (or have ever held) a license or registration to practise Respiratory Therapy outside of Ontario, and/or if you hold (or have ever held) a license or registration to practise another profession, you will need to complete the Registration Verification Form.
- Receive a confirmation from the CRTO when your application is approved. If your application is not approved, we will contact you regarding next steps/options in the registration process.
- Submit the applicable registration fee.
- Receive your certificate of registration. The CRTO will send you an email confirmation when your certificate is issued.
You may not work as a Respiratory Therapist or in any way hold yourself out as a person qualified to practise Respiratory Therapy in Ontario until after you have been issued a certificate of registration.
You should allow two to four weeks for the processing of your application.
Once registered, you will be required to:
- obtain liability insurance coverage as outlined in the Professional Liability Insurance Fact Sheet;
- complete the online Launch RT Jurisprudence Assessment;
- inform the CRTO of any change to the information provided on your application form within 30 days of the change;
- renew your registration on an annual basis; and
- participate in the CRTO’s Quality Assurance Program.
If you have any questions about the application process, please Contact Us.