To practise as a Respiratory Therapist in Ontario, you must be registered with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario (CRTO). You may not work as a Respiratory Therapist or use the Respiratory Therapist title or designation (e.g., GRT, RRT) in Ontario until you have received written confirmation from the CRTO that your certificate of registration has been issued. Working as an RT includes participating in an employer clinical orientation or training.
This section is intended for applicants who:
- are currently registered to practise as Respiratory Therapists in other (regulated) Canadian jurisdictions (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island); and
- have practised the profession there within the past two years.
If you are practising in a non-regulated jurisdiction (British Columbia, Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon), please refer to the Applicants from Canadian RT Programs or the Applicants Educated outside of Canada sections of our website.
To start the registration process, you must complete the online application, pay the $75.00 application fee, and submit all required documentation to the CRTO.
The Application for Registration Guide provides a detailed overview of the registration requirements and process.
Steps in the Application Process
- Review the Registration Requirements section and the Application for Registration Guide.
- Complete the online application and pay the $75.00 application fee (online Visa or MasterCard transaction).
- One or two business days after your online application is received, the CRTO will email you with information on how to access the Applicant Portal and check the status of your application.
- Log in to the Applicant Portal to submit (upload) supporting documents, for example, proof of Canadian citizenship, permanent residency status, or a valid work permit.
- Ensure that other supporting documentation has been sent to the CRTO from third-party organizations, for example:
- Employment Verification Form – If you have been practising as a Respiratory Therapist (or in a related filed) in the last five years, you will need to complete the Employment Verification Form.
- Registration Verification Form – If you hold (or have ever held) a license or registration to practise Respiratory Therapy outside of Ontario, and/or if you hold (or have ever held) a license or registration to practise another profession, you will need to complete the Registration Verification Form.
- Receive a confirmation from the CRTO when your application is approved. If your application is not approved, we will contact you regarding next steps/options in the registration process.
- Submit the applicable registration fee.
- Receive your certificate of registration. The CRTO will send you an email confirmation when your certificate is issued.
You may not work as a Respiratory Therapist or in any way hold yourself out as a person qualified to practise Respiratory Therapy in Ontario until after you have been issued a certificate of registration.
You should allow two to four weeks for the processing of your application.
Once registered, you will be required to:
- obtain liability insurance coverage as outlined in the Professional Liability Insurance Fact Sheet;
- complete the online Launch RT Jurisprudence Assessment;
- inform the CRTO of any change to the information provided on your application form within 30 days of the change;
- renew your registration on an annual basis; and
- participate in the CRTO’s Quality Assurance Program.
If you have any questions about the application process, please Contact Us.